9.27.2007

WalMart's new tag line

"Low Prices. Always." Every time I hear that statement, I think of WalMart. I have for years. But I recently saw a commercial on TV and the retailer, biggest in the US, has changed their tag line. It now reads, "Save money. Live better." This line emerged from the Martin Agency. I'm sure they received big money for that statement. But it got me thinking, Why would the WalMart change their motto? I haven't done any formal research on this topic, but my personal thought is that they changed it to make themselves look better. The "low prices" tag sort of makes them look cheap, that their products are cheap and of low quality. Nothing is wrong with most of their products because Target, one of WalMart's biggest competitors, carries the same choices. I think that WalMart decided to change their motto because Target is running away with their customers and they wanted to make the company seem on the same level as Target. Most of my classmates will agree, that when given a choice, they will shop at Target. And I learned some information from a group project last year that Target's prices are only a penny more than Walmart's for big ticket items like TVs. We just think that Target has better quality and a better atmosphere. I think that WalMart noticed this trend and are trying to revamp, saying that you will still save money here, but you can also live better with that saved money. WalMart has a lot more work to do to be on the same level as Target in the consumer's mind. My biggest complaint is how they treat their employees. WalMart will always be around because they are so dominant in their market, but if some things don't change, we may witness the fall of an empire. I think this new tag line is helping, it definitely doesn't make them seem as cheap anymore.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great issue to bring to the table!

What do you think Walmart's most loyal customers will think about the change?