8.31.2007

old navy FLIRT ad

After watching the Old Navy commercial, I can see why Anamarie got so upset at the content of the ad, especially the song playing in the background. When a woman says NO, she means No! No matter how she is dressed. But I can also see that the song is saying that he is the flirt, not her. She looks hot in her jeans, and he probably just won't leave her alone. He just can't resist her in the jeans. She may be saying no to his advances, not for sex, but simply for a date or something like that. I empathize with Anamarie's comments because there is no excuse for taking advantage of a woman, based on her clothing. I think Old Navy should have gone with a more "flirty" ad than a "sexy" ad because the jeans line is called flirt. Maybe some pastel colors, frills, something more girly than sexy. Overall, I do agree with Anamarie about "no means no", but the commercial, I think, is pretty harmless.

1 comment:

Professor Sanghvi said...

i see you get why anamarie is upset, but personally don't think the commercial is sending the wrong message? am i getting this right?